28 May 2006

Headed for Spain

I'm leaving for Spain tomorrow morning. I'll be gone until June 23, so that means 25 days away from home. I am very excited because of Spain's history and architecture and all the beauitful castles and churches I will get to see.

The Church has a long history in Spain. It is mentioned in the Epistle to the Romans, chapter 15. Saint Paul said that he planned to visit Spain by way of Rome. Whether he did or not is contested, since he first went to Jerusalem and got into some trouble there. In the First Epistle to the Corinthians, however, Pope Saint Clement I (the third successor to Saint Peter) writes that Paul preached to the "extremity of the West" (1 Clement 5:7). Some cities in Spain claim episcopal succession that traces directly to disciples of the apostles. Whether or not these are accurate, we know with certainty that the Church was well established there in the mid third century. I will post from the various cities that I'll be staying in, including Toledo, Madrid, Seville, Cordoba, and Granada. Please pray for safe travel!

In Christ through Mary,

Jonathan Knox



Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger David Ketter said...

Go with God, brother.

(You know...you're just making things difficult when you use Mary in your sign-offs...)

May 29, 2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You know you've got my prayers. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. I can't wait to see pictures. :D

Talk to you soon!

May 31, 2006 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home