11 January 2008

A Glimpse Into My New Catholic Life

This is just an excuse to make an entry on this blog- life support, if you will. I took a few pictures of my dorm at the university to show off all my new cool Catholic stuff. Also, some interesting news. Today at Rosary (we pray twice daily on the Plaza of the Americas) we prayed in front of the Missionary Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe- a huge exact replica of the original image on St. Juan Diego's tilma. That was a very nice experience for all of us. Other interesting news: I will be trained to be an altar server and hopefully I'll be able to assist at next week's Exposition and Adoration. We are looking into purchasing a/some cassock(s) and surplice(s) as opposed to the very plain, very dull albs that altar servers wear at St. Augustine's nowadays. Though I have been informed by a reader of the blog that in the Diocese of St. Augustine, servers are to wear albs. 'Twas a pipe dream, anyways.

So, here are the pictures...


So we have my crucifix, a painting by Juan de Juanes of the Institution of the Eucharist, various pictures of my friends, images of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary, a beautiful picture of the Blessed Trinity, my laptop with a super cool background of a FSSP priest saying Mass, statues of St. Joseph, the Christ Child, and Our Lady of Grace, and the TV that I never get around to viewing.

Here is a shot directly above my unmade bed... a beautiful cross depicting several scenes from the life of Christ, a painting of Our Lady of the Rosary by Murillo, and another Murillo called The Good Shepherd.


Ten bucks says I'm the only student at UF to have a holy water font in his room.... and I LOVE it!

A nasty old tract attacking Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.... so I cut out the super-cool pictures out of it before throwing it away. Check out that priest offering the Sacrifice of the Mass ad orientem!!

This one gets me excited just looking at it!! Far left are my Rosaries. Then we have some holy water, my Sunday Tridentine Missal, a book about the saints (organized by their feast's placement in the year!), a hymnal that is 1,000x better than those found across the street at St. Augustine's, and my Daily Tridentine Missal. Below, the sheets I made up for our St. Michael exorcism at the Plaza of the Americas, my RSV-CE Bible, Catholicism for Dummies, holy cards, This is the Faith, the Catechism, the Lamb's Supper by Dr. Hahn, and this month's issue of Magnificat, a Novus Ordo daily missal.

This is the starting point, the springboard for my collection of Catholic goodies. They are proudly displayed without fear of my family tearing them down or some other nonsense like that... It's good to be a Catholic! Deo gratias.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cliff Notes said...

You should get a taberacle for your room.

January 15, 2008 4:40 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Knox said...

You and I know both know I would, if it were licit. But now I know where you keep the monstrance, so..

January 15, 2008 9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sacrilege is your complete disregard and disobedience regarding Bishop Galeone's instruction regarding the use of cassocks for altar servers. Why do you wish to persist in your laicization of clerical garb? Such disregard for the priesthood.

February 12, 2008 12:58 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Knox said...

Well, hello! Nice of you to read my heart. Whatever happened to "judge not lest you be judged" or whatever it is that people quote at us these days.

I looked up the guidelines for liturgical ministers put in place by Bishop Galeone. For some reason, he believes that the "preferred vestment is the alb and cincture." The guidelines go on to say that "parishes using cassocks and surplices for altar servers are encouraged to replace these with albs as is possible."

I will have to look into why His Excellency prefers the alb and cincture. As I read it though, with words like preferred and encouraged, there is no disobedience at all. Anyways, the wearing of the cassock and surplice has nothing to do with laicization of clerical garb. I'd venture to guess that parishes that use cassocks and surplices are the ones that liberals would say "are attempting to restrict the declericalizaiton of the liturgy" - Fr. Richard McBrien.

In the meantime, don't you worry. It's not like we have a treasury or anything.

February 12, 2008 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home