10 April 2008

I Confess...


I confess to Almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the Saints, and to you brethren, that I have sinned exceedingly, in thought, word and deed: through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault. Therefore I beseech blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints, and you brethren, to pray to the Lord our God for me.

The preceding prayer is the Confiteor, prayed by the priest and altar boys at the beginning of Mass. It is a prayer to God asking for reconciliation and forgiveness. It is a prayer of humility, but not of shame, because we are confident in God's mercy. Tonight I make this prayer to God and ask forgiveness for any time that I might not have done His will. I also ask all of you, that if I have at any time been uncharitable, to forgive me.

I am not apologizing for any truth that I have written or said. To do so would be irresponsible and make me guilty before God and before the community. But if I caused any of you, my brethren, to stumble, I ask your forgiveness for the scandal. If I have ever been unkind, please know that it was not my intention, but that I am truly sorry. I love you all, even if we disagree, and I pray that we may all find the fullness of Truth in Christ's Church. God bless you.

In Jesus and Mary,
Jonathan Knox

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you wrote this. We all stumble sometimes and cause each other to fall, and you should be commended for being willing to humble yourself and apologize. God bless you.

April 14, 2008 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home