13 May 2009

I'm Not the Only One Complaining

Well, I'm not the only one that "stirs the pot" it seems. I was looking at St. Augustine's blog tonight. The blog is used mostly for suggestions on ways to work through the financial situation.. but other topics come up in the comment box from time to time. Here is a comment from Monday, May 11.

NOTE: This is second hand information, so I can't vouch for the authenticity. The commenter was anonymous, and I don't know anyone who went to the 9 AM Mass this past Sunday. I was 150 miles away from Gainesville... thank God.

"According to the topic of this blog “Your Feedback Matters”, so I would like it to be known that I completely disagree with the Sermon given by Fr. Gillespie at the 9AM mass on May 10, 2009, in reference to Notre Dame inviting President Obama to speak. While I completely respect the position of President of the United States, this does not mean that the person holding this position has the right to violate my personal beliefs. Let me make it clear that it is not because Barack Obama is not Catholic that I oppose his speaking at Notre Dame; it is because Barack Obama is pro-abortion that I oppose his speaking engagement. Fr Gillespie needs to re-think his position as a Catholic priest if he truly believes it is okay for Notre Dame to invite Barack Obama, a known pro-abortionist, to speak at their Commencement ceremony."

Did Father Gillespie really defend the University of Notre Dame's decision to honor President Obama? Even though the bishops said in 2004 that Catholic universities are not to honor pro-abortion politicians? Even though some 75 bishops, including Bishop Galeone, have publicly come out against Notre Dame's decision? Hmm. I want to give Father Gillespie the benefit of the doubt- perhaps the sermon was misunderstood, or perhaps the commenter is a liar. It would be nice to have some confirmation either way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

I will take on the role of Spy-in-Chief at St. A's this summer, don't worry. It's so you can breathe easy knowing you don't have to waddle in the thick of the craziness up here...

May 14, 2009 12:02 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

My apologies for posting as "anonymous". It was my intention to leave my name, but I obviously did not register properly. My name is Melissa Lamb and I am the new Respect Life Coordinator for St. Augustine's Parish. All that I wrote is true, however, I cannot comment on the entire homily as my family stood up and "stepped out" for the rest of the homily when we heard where it was going.

I am so glad to hear that people at St. A's are willing to speak up and be heard. Please also understand that more is being written to the "My parish, my voice" blog that is being blocked and not published on-line. Also, as Respect Life coordinator, it is my job to submit mass intentions each week for the unborn. Listen carefully next time the intercessions are read to see how often they get through the "red tape" of St. A's. The devil is at work in this parish and only prayer by people such as yourself will break through the powers of evil.

I am trying to gather up the ranks for more Pro-life events at St. A's. If you would like to join, please e-mail me at mloney@ufl.edu.

Thanks for your blog. It's great!

June 14, 2009 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home