13 December 2011

What shall I render to the Lord....?




What shall I render to the Lord for all that He hath rendered unto me? I will take the Chalice of Salvation, and call upon the Name of the Lord. Praising, I will call upon the Lord and I shall be saved from my enemies.





Without a doubt... my favorite prayer from the Mass. Well, other than the "This is my Body... This is my Blood", but that goes without saying. This prayer is found in the traditional Latin Mass, and is said by the priest immediately before drinking the Precious Blood. It's part of the Eucharistic Prayer, so it is silent. But that's okay... because the priest isn't talking to me, you know? He's talking to God. And God can hear whispers. In Latin. :)

That being said, I have my hand missal, so I follow along and read this prayer and make it my own. A few weeks ago I thought a bit on this beautiful prayer, taken from the Psalms. (Psalm 115 or 116, depending on your translation.) What shall I render (give) to the Lord, for all that He has rendered (given) unto me? Think about that last part... all that the Lord has given to us. Life, health, family, comfort. In the context of the Mass, He has just given us His Body and Blood on the altar. The priest has just taken His Body into himself- they are now one, the priest and Christ. We are about to receive Holy Communion. What awesome gifts!

So how can we ever repay Him? What shall we render to the Lord in return for these favors?! The prayer continues... I will take the Chalice of Salvation, and call upon the Name of the Lord. I will call upon the Lord and I shall be saved from my enemies. :-O In return for all His gifts given, we ask for more grace!! Save us, O Lord! That is what we ask for- that is our gift back to God. And it is a gift He is most pleased with.

One night before bed, I went through my examination of conscience. I had really screwed up that day, and this prayer came back to my mind. What shall I give back to God for all that He has given me? Well, what did I give back to God that day? Broke at least 5 or 6 of his 10 Commandments. Before I let myself get too depressed, I said my act of contrition and thought more on this prayer. God knows full well that we repay Him with our sins. Even so, He gave us the Cross, He gave us the Mass. The Holy Mass is said every day throughout the world. Priests are everywhere, restoring us to God's grace in the Sacrament of Penance. So even though we screw up epically, when it's so easy to give back to God that which He wants... God's grace is amazing and always there for us. So let's take advantage of that grace, call upon the name of the Lord, and be saved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home